Friday, January 4, 2008

Surprisingly fun sick day

So, we are all sick. Natalie had pink eye and double ear infection in Utah, John went in for an ear infection when we got back from Utah, Andrew has strep and an ear infection (he had a 104.3 temperature the other night!), and I don't know what I have. I feel stiff and achy and have a ear-nose-throat thing going on. James was showing signs of pink eye, but we immediately put the medicine on and his eyes are looking good.

Today is a stay-at-home day (except for John who left for work at about 5am--what a guy!). Andrew just barely started the antibiotic last night so were are self-quarantined--we can't go anywhere. That can sometimes mean a very very long day. But we have actually had a really great morning. And I'm writing this now because everything may have changed by 5:00 tonight ;-)

It is an absolutely gorgeous day today. In my opinion, it is the perfect temperature--not too hot, not too cold with a very very slight breeze blowing every once in a while. It's the kind of day you go outside and take a deep breath in through your nose and feel a little lift. My sister-in-law called to see if we wanted to go to the park. That was the perfect activity for today, but of course, not an option for us unless we wanted to expose all the other kids. But we have been playing in the backyard all morning--even James. We jumped on the trampoline, played in the dirt with tracks, shovels and cars, ate a picnic lunch outside, made silly shadow people, and my favorite.....ate our first oranges off our tree!! Well, I think they are oranges. I can't remember which tree is the tangelo tree and which tree is the orange tree...but they were pretty good and it was great to eat something growing in our backyard. It was just a great morning and it really felt so great to be on the ground outside with my kids. Some days I just feel like I'm trying to get them out of the way so I can get the "real stuff" done. It was great to remember today that they are the "real stuff" and it is so worth it to take some time to play and laugh with them. So I guess sick was good for me and my little kiddos.
About the pictures: Natalie has her waif style hair that just cracks me up--we're not planning on going anywhere! And miracle of miracles, I got Andrew to look at the camera and smile at the same time!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey!! We are sick, too! We have had the pink eye, double ear infections, and are now battling chest/lung issues! (what fun) The good news is that I think we are on the tail end of things! I almost called you today, but got distracted :] It was a beautiful day, though, and I'm glad you enjoyed it despite the sicknesses!

kara jayne said...

Actually sounds like a good day. It was gorgeous on Friday! I need to remember more often that the kids are the "real stuff". Hope your feeling better.

Heather S said...

Hey...I am glad that you had such a great morning....and you didn't have to go anywhere....I love those! Your kids look very cute...sick and all...I like the blonde hair everwhere!

Amy G. said...

i think we were outside on that day too! it truly was gorgeous! i happen to like sick days as well. for the most part, they're lay around the house and take things slow days and that's great for me!