Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Joys of Reading


My kids love the show Super Why (we call it Super Readers) on PBS. We don't watch it very often, so it is a huge treat when we do. In fact, John was in Wal Mart with the kids to buy a DVD before our drive to Utah in December and Natalie was saying, "Get a Super Weaders, dad."

The other morning I was combing Natalie's hair, putting it in pig tails, while the kids were watching Super Readers. I started commenting on how exciting it is to learn how to read and told Natalie, "First you learn your letters, and the letters' sounds, and then you can put the letters together and make words!" Natalie immediately said, "And fwy an airpwane too!" The Super Readers fly around in saucers on the show, so she was associating learning to read with flying an airplane. I hope she's not too disappointed when she starts reading!

1 comment:

kara jayne said...

Besides High School Musical, this is the only show Nora will watch. When she wakes up and gets her milk, she immediately says "why". I've recorded several on the DVR for those times that I actually shower, or work with a hot stove!