Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Beloved Prophet


President Hinckley died today. I remember vividly where I was when I heard that President Hunter had died. I was in the MTC, waiting for a visa so I could go to Venezuela. I really felt a need to know that President Hinckley was a prophet of God. I had seen him as a councilor for my entire life, and it was at first hard to imagine him as the prophet. But I had a powerful confirmation that President Hinckley was a prophet, and that has been reinforced over and over again.

What an amazing man and prophet. He had a beautiful way with words without being verbose and always getting right to the heart of the issue. He was so funny. The most recent example being his “knighting” President Eyring with his cane at General Conference. He was the perfect combination of realism and optimism. He has inspired and uplifted me over and over again through his words and through his example. I have marveled how a 97-year-old could keep up with the demands of his calling. His faith and optimism was infectious. And what vision.

I am so grateful that I have been able to hear him speak—in General Conferences, at temple dedications (one of them in Venezuela!), at BYU devotionals; that I have been able to watch him work miracles with temple construction; that I have been able to see him wave (he has a wave that is unique to him) and to see thousands wave back.

One of my favorite quotes by him is:

"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed. The fact is that most putts don't drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey, filled with delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas, and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride" Gordon B. Hinckley

As was his way, this quote embraces the realities of life, but still makes you feel hopeful. I will always be grateful to him for helping me to see that "hard" does not mean "bad".

I will miss him.

No comments: