
We had to run to the pool store yesterday. I loaded everyone in the car, sat down in my seat and Andrew says from the back, "Mom, I lost my tooth!"
What?
Tooth?
He's five! Can kids lose their teeth at five? I thought it was more like seven. And was his tooth even loose? How could I not know that?
I wasn't sure what to expect when I got out of the car, opened the back door and climbed in by him. What I found was a hole where his tooth used to be on the bottom.
And sure enough...when he said he "lost" his tooth, he really meant he pulled it out, threw it and had no idea where it was.
It took me a while to figure out what happened really. I don't think he even knew. And he suddenly started crying for no reason for about 3 seconds. I think he was as confused as I was and I think he was worried he had somehow done something he wasn't supposed to and was reluctant to say what had happened. So I couldn't really get an accurate story from him. Natalie finally stepped in and showed me with her hand how he reached in his mouth, pulled out the tooth, and threw it.
Did you bump it? No. I saw no bleeding, he said it didn't hurt.
This was nothing like what I pictured losing the first tooth would be like! Finally, after some confused moments, I started getting excited and telling him how great...his first tooth, the tooth fairy, etc.
Last night when he was going to bed, I said, "Congratulations, Andrew! Your first tooth! You are so big!" And he said, "Why did you say Congratulations, mom?"
There is still no sign of the tooth, so we decided we would try to find it today again. If we don't have any luck, we'll be writing a note to the tooth fairy tonight. And he might be surprised to find money under his pillow because he was telling us yesterday that the tooth fairy will bring him a new tooth. Hope he's not disappointed.
I still can't believe my five-year-old lost his first tooth. He did get all his teeth really early, so maybe he is going to lose them early also. It just seems like a milestone I'm not quite ready for. He is growing up too fast!








8 comments:
holy cow, that is early! i'm not ready for this either... i think it's a ways in the future for us though. crazy!!
There seems to be a great variance on teeth loss. Jacob lost his first tooth in kindergarten at 5 yrs old. He was early. My nephew just barely lost both his front teeth at almost 8! Jacob had his teeth out over a year earlier than him.
Being married to a dentist, age five is a pretty normal age. And, if they get their teeth in "early", they do lose them early. I am always sad when they start losing them because it changes their smile from a baby smile to grown up smile.
What a great story! My favorite is that you didn't even know it was loose. That is so classic! Kate hasn't even lost a tooth yet! He beat her! :)
Andrew was so proud of that lost tooth this morning...and it was very impressive to the other 5 year old in our car! All our kids got their teeth really early (the two year old dentist appt always brings a "holy cow! Look at all those teeth!) But, so far, (as if implying that I have a lot of experience with tooth losage...) we begin at the ripe old age of 6!
About previous post--once again, you laughed and pulled out the camera....maybe after a few more kids I will learn the lesson and start laughing and pulling out the camera instead of pulling my hair out and stifling a scream!
Welcome to a year of firsts! 1st a tooth... then Kindergarten!
Yes, congratulations, Andrew!!! When we were at the dentist's yesterday he told us Jonah may soon be getting some loose teeth and it totally threw me for a loop. These boys certainly ARE growing up much too fast!
I remember when I lost my first tooth.I love those pictures!
Post a Comment