
So on Friday we picked John up from work and parked our car at the 38th street light rail station. Andrew has been dying to ride the "train" and it seemed a fun way to get downtown.
Andrew watching the light rail approaching
I love this look on Natalie's face
And it was.
But then we rounded the corner and saw the line to get into the museum. 1 1/2 to 2 hour wait we were told. We just kept on walking and took the kids over to the fountains at the Arizona Center. They loved it.
We did let James out for just a little bit. But he sure enjoyed the stroller ride ;-)
And as they got their feet and hands wet, climbed walls, and marveled at the water, I was reminded that some of the best activities don't require money or some crazy fun plan. We had the best time. The kids played in the water, ran around, the weather was perfect, and best of all, we were together.
John's face cracks me up in this picture. Especially because when I called him with this idea he said, "That sounds like a lot of work." And I said, "Well, anything we do with three little kids is a lot of work. It might as well be this." And surprising to both of us, it really wasn't very hard at all.
And I, who sometimes struggle with "changes of plan", had no problem with this one. Because the plan really was just to get out and do something together. And we did.
Andrew told us as we were riding the light rail back to the parking lot, "I want to come back and ride this train next Saturday and I want to ride it forever and ever." I honestly think riding the train was about as good as it gets from his 5-year-old perspective.
Even if it was a little loud...


















6 comments:
Nate would say the exact same thing if I asked him to go. "sounds like a lot of work" So funny. I love that my husband isn't the only stick in the mud sometimes. I made him go to the zoo a couple months ago. He was slightly cranky. Ha ha.
I was already laughing at John's face in the picture before I read your comment about it! Ha ha! Ya know, husbands are at work all day on their own schedule without the worry and constant work of little kids to get in the way of their focus and productivity (not to say that their day isn't full of challenges and difficulties of a different nature.) So, to them, doing an activity with the kids is a lot of work. We, on the other hand think, "Gosh--this is great! Another person to help with crowd control and another set of hands to hold and feed and help the kids! This will be awesome!"
We take our local Trax train downtown to play in the Olympic Fountain, so a very similar plan like yours. It really is a fun outing and assuming no one throws a tantrum, pretty easy. I am in awe at the beauty of your kids.
Such cute kids Erika...I just love 'em!
I learn this over and over that it is often the simple activities that my kids love the most!
Your kids all look so happy and content to be out with you and John. They are so beautiful it makes me feel great to see them. Of...great utilization of the sit and stand. :)
I was laughing about John's expression, too. Before I saw your caption I thought, "did she post this without knowing?"
Steve has a similar face and similar hesitancy....but...is willing to head out with our entourage as well.
john's face is classic. priceless. i love it. what a fun activity!
Post a Comment