Friday, April 4, 2008

Nice is better than true

Andrew is signed up for a sports class through our town Rec classes. He loves it and his ball skills actually seem to be improving. (Yes, he has "skills") Usually he does just fine in the class. His good friend Jonah is in the class with him and Thursday we were planning on bringing Jonah home with us.

I was sitting in the atrium area of the Rec Center playing with Natalie and watching some kids climb the rock wall. Suddenly, I hear a loud voice echoing throughout the entire Rec Center say, "Would the parents of Andrew Garner please come to the counter." It took a few times before I realized that yes, I was the parent referred to.

I gathered Natalie and James up and headed over to the counter where I was informed that there had been an "incident" in the class and I needed to talk to the teacher. We headed down the narrow hallway to the raquetball court where they hold the class.

I opened the door and there was Andrew pouting in a corner. The teacher said he had asked Andrew not to kick the basketball several times and when he continued to kick it, the teacher took the ball away. That started the tantrum and antagonizing the other kids in the class.

So, I took Andrew into the hall, sat him on the bench and asked him what happened. He was crying and continued to repeat in a voice I could barely understand, "I want my ball!" We talked about how certain behaviors result in certain consequences, blah, blah, blah I'm sure to him. He calmed down enough that I thought we would try the class again. But when I opened the door, Andrew started screaming and crying again because they were done with the basketballs. So I quickly closed the door and we were back on the bench.

You are wondering why I didn't just leave. Well, remember our cute friend that was coming home with us? He was really enjoying the class and there were still 15 minutes left.

So, Andrew and I got to wait it out in the hall. And he never stopped crying. Or really screaming for that matter. And between wails, I was chasing Natalie around too.

It was another banner-mother-moment.

Soon enough, the class was over, and Jonah came out really needing to use the bathroom. So the 5 of us raced through the hall to the bathroom and as I'm trying to get the boys into the bathroom as fast as I can, Natalie stops at the drinking fountain and won't budge. So as I race back to grab her, one of the ladies who was waiting in the hall and got to hear our entire 15 minutes of scream, approaches me and says, "You are an amazing mom."

I look at her and say, "Really?"

She says, "You are so patient."

And I just want to say, Thank You!!! to her. What a thoughtful, nice person. In the midst of a tough moment, she said a kind thing and that made a world of difference. It didn't matter if it was true, just that she cared enough to even think to say it. Thank you!!

5 comments:

Kristine said...

Boy do I miss Freestone! Gilbert has some great classes. You held it together better than I would've. I can definitely empathize (minus one child!).

kara jayne said...

I'm seriously getting emotional over that. It's AMAZING what an encouraging word can do. She could have easily been judging you or Andrew, or just done nothing at all. I want to give her a big hug myself!

mwells said...

Erika, what she said was nice AND true. You are amazingly patient. Much more so than I!

Amy G. said...

well, and who left you with that "jonah" kid in the first place?! sounds like you would have been just fine otherwise! can you believe some people? :)

oh...and you left out jonah's little "accident." that was nice of you to protect his boyhood! hee, hee.

Linds said...

I was laughing so hard at the end of this email, not at you but with you. I can completely empathize and I can imagine you being patient (frustrated inside) but calmly handling everything. You truly are amazing!