I had to run to WalMart again today (about the 3rd time this week--I always end up needing something else) and got to go with all three kiddies. We parked and entered in the greenhouse/plants area because there are usually less cars parked there and if you check out there, usually you can avoid the longer lines. We crossed the street--I was holding the heavy car seat in one arm and had Natalie's hand in the other, and she was holding Andrew's hand. I was so happy that they would even hold hands to cross the street. They are so independent--when other kids are happily holding their parents' hands, mine are usually saying, "No! I do it myself!"
When we walked into the store, there were the plant carts--double decker, green, flat carts. My kids immediately ran to one and insisted that we use that cart. Actually, I thought it was a pretty good idea--both kids sat with legs outstretched next to each other on the top and James in his car seat fit nicely on the bottom. I didn't have to get much, so there was enough room to stash several items here and there.
We rolled on into the store from the greenery area. I can't even count the number of stares, and yes, there were a few comments as well. First, we were the only GREEN cart in the store. Second, we were the only DOUBLE DECKER cart in the store. And third, I was the only person in there with three kids on one cart (maybe even the only person with three kids).
We were doing a great job pulling the attention to ourselves as it was, even though the kids were doing great and were happy, and then James started crying. He is such a great little baby and doesn't usually cry. He cries because he has a dirty diaper or is hungry--and sometimes because he is the third child and needs a little more attention than he sometimes gets. So this was an "I am hungry and have a dirty diaper" cry. So we hurried up and finished but I felt like I had a spotlight on us as we rushed through the store. People actually moved out of our way--they heard us coming ;-)
It reminded me of a day a week or two ago when I took my kids to play at an outdoor mall playground. I had Natalie in the stroller, Andrew was walking and I was carrying James in the Baby Bjorn. We had gone about 20 feet and already 3 people had commented "You have your hands full!" Everybody we walked by made a comment. I just laughed and thought, you are right--my hands are full!! And some days it feels like they are full of frustration, and messes, and dirty diapers, and kids arguing. And other days it feels like they are full of joy, and excitement at new milestones, and laughter, and love. But my hands are definitely full.
Even as I am writing this during my first free moment of the day, I can hear the little footsteps upstairs as Andrew runs back and forth between the game room and his room. I have miraculously convinced him that a quiet time every afternoon is a good idea. He won't nap, but I really was feeling like a quiet time was good--and he is on board! So he knows he needs to stay in his room, but also needs "one more track" so he keeps running back and forth. I hear the footsteps and then the footsteps and then the door close. So cute. I love the energy and excitement he has.
What Gives Kids Confidence?
1 week ago




4 comments:
Erika,
I love your descriptions. I could visualize (and empathize with) your whole Wal-Mart experience. I've never seen the double decker carts, but they sound pretty ingenious.
yes, these are very familiar experiences. isn't it amazing the number of people who make that comment of your hands being full? maybe amazing isn't the right word.
Classic...I get the same comment every time I go running and I only have 2 in the jogger though it may be the German Shephard running next to me as well that makes us look like a "big" bunch! Hopefully no more trips (at least not with all the kids) this week! Have a great Christmas!
I have tried to come up with a happy response to that infamous line. I'm collecting good ones. . . But I think you described it perfectly.
My other favorite thing is IF I ever go to a store with just one child, usually someone says, "is this your first?" I always smile and wait for the shock to subside after, "no, I have five."
Post a Comment