Friday, December 21, 2007

Scorpion!!


I had just laid James down on a blanket in the family room, I was kneeling down starting to stuff cards into envelopes (yea--maybe they will make it to you before Christmas?!), and Natalie was kneeling next to me. As usual, I was feeling "rushed"--trying to fit as much into the minute because I didn't know when I would have another moment to work on cards. Natalie was trying to tell me something and I was so focused on what I was doing, I didn't notice for a minute what she was telling me. But she was pointing and saying "yucky" or "bug" or something. I figured it was a cricket--we have plenty of those. I finally glanced over at where she was pointing--right in front of her little finger on our green shag rug was a scorpion.

Ooo I really don't like scorpions. In fact, I'm terrified of them! Luckily this is only the 2nd one I have seen inside our house in 4 1/2 years. I picked up the baby, hustled Natalie out of the family room, grabbed a glass and ran back to put it over the scorpion. Then I told everybody to stay out of that room. I called Lena, who I knew had lots of experience with killing scorpions, and she said just squash it with a shoe or anything hard. OK. That sounded like something I could do.

But I couldn't. Every time I thought about doing it, my insides did a somersault. In fact, even writing about it is making me feel the same way. But I had to do something--I have 2 active little kids who wouldn't remember to stay away from that glass and I was envisioning what would happen when they knocked over the glass and the scorpion was free. So....I called my home teacher and neighbor. He lives just across the street and luckily, works from home often. He was there and came to my rescue with a rubber mallet.

He got the scorpion into the glass and took it outside where he finished it off. Phew! Lena gave me the great idea of showing the kids what the scorpion looks like so they can identify one later and know that if they see one, stay away and come get mom. I don't know what good it will do to get mom, but it's what Lena said she told her kids! Maybe next time they can get me and I can call Lena, who now has no problem smashing scorpions. But I really hope there is no next time. I should have titled this post, "I'm a chicken" or something. Even just writing about this is making me feel the creepy crawlies up my back and I keep thinking something is brushing up against my feet.....Ugh.

But props to Natalie for saving the day by noticing the scorpion. It was really hard to see in that shag. Way to go Nats (as Andrew has been calling her lately)!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally would have done the same thing. I have been known to trap cocroaches, then leave until Jon comes home and deals with it!

kara jayne said...

Call me anytime! I have no problem squashing scorpions!! glad no one got hurt!

Mia said...

I am known for trapping bugs under cups as well..only, I dont use glass cups because then I can see the bug through it and end up staring at it until someone comes along to squish it for me!! I prefer plastic cups that I cant see through...out of sight, out of mind. I found 3 scorpions in my house about a month ago and have been completly terrified ever since!!!!...Its definately not a good feeling...so, if you ever have any and need help...dont call me!!!he-he-he

Erin said...

Creepy! Oooo, I may have bad dreams tonight!