Monday, October 6, 2008

Perfectly broken heads

This is a statue that my mom gave us when we had our first baby. Tonight the dad's head broke off (for the second time) after Natalie, smiling up at me, threw it to the ground. As I crazy glued the head back on, and saw the previous breaking point, the perfectionist in me that used to re-copy her notes in high school whispered, "I'll have to get another one of these some day--that doesn't have any break marks on it."

But before that thought had even really materialized, I chuckled to myself and thought, "Why would I want to replace something that so perfectly represents parenthood?!" Not exactly "perfect" every day, but still wonderful.

Today, I felt like MY head was breaking off a few times, and unfortunately it really was Natalie's day for breaking heads. Water all over the kitchen floor from the refrigerator (about 6 towels to mop it up), cutting her hair with scissors, running away over and over and over again at Wal Mart (I am giving up Wal Mart fan status) until I really couldn't find her (she turned up at the princess sunglasses), and then another 30 minutes of screaming so piercing that I really couldn't hear out of either ear for a little while, when she did not get her way. Sound still seems a bit muffled.

Once again Elder Wirthlin..."come what may and love it." And boy do I love Natalie. Even when it does not seem like a perfect day, and when it seems like my kids must be the most out-of-control kids out there, if I am honest with myself, I am still so grateful to be a mom. There is nothing better.

I look at my dear statue where the parents look lovingly at their sweet baby even with a broken head and I laugh again. That is just the way it is. And now my statue is perfect.

12 comments:

kara jayne said...

SO WELL SAID!! And your photographs...wow!

Anonymous said...

Great picture of the hair, I can't believe you were controlled enough to take it! Actually, I can. I wouldn't have been controlled enough!

Laura said...

What a wonderful post. SO well said! Cutting hair would have sent me over the edge.

Sarah said...

oh my word... how do you stay so positive? great post. will you please move to utah so we can hang out?!

Heather S said...

Loved the post and photos. Really clear and beautiful.

I can't believe you put on sweaters with it so hot....you are truly one with Arizona now....it was in the 50's today and my kids did not wear coats!

PSS...you are right. My ever sharp brain mixed up Steve's trip to BYU this week with his trip to AZ. I used to be a smart woman....back in the day.

Amy G. said...

how funny...we have one of those same statues with multiple breaks in it as well...three or four i think.

you're so good to always see the joy in the misfortunes! it was fun hanging out with you today. (i have a freakin' huge bruise from where i hurt myself on the bike!)

Laura said...

E, I couldn't agree more... (and I have the same tendancies about 'wanting to replace broken') there really IS something special about having special objects with war wounds. Now you have a beautiful statue that also can tell a story or two!

Kristine said...

I could learn lots from your perspectives on life. Maybe you should write a book so that those of us (okay maybe just me) can start to look for the best in the moments that tend to drive me CRAZY.

mwells said...

Erika,
I love your posts! You make my day!

Shawni said...

I love this Erika! SO well said. Life, even with all it's breaks and falls, is perfect because of them. I want a broken statue now. Ha ha. Have you started reading yet?

Heaps Crew said...

Love your parenting wisdom and perspective. I think of you during my own harried parenting moments.

Team Fellows said...

I'm totally laughing because I have the same statue with multiple breaks. They must be cheaply made :-) Actually, I think my kids just have perfect aim with the tile floor. Isn't it great though being a mom! I have to agree that the fractured statue is a great representation of parenthood and I wouldn't trade it for anything!