Monday, October 15, 2007

IKEA in the Camry



My mom and I headed out Saturday night to run a few errands. Our last stop was IKEA. My mom has been helping me get my game room organized (finally!) and we needed to get a bookshelf from IKEA to finish the project up. First of all, getting out of the store with all the stuff was quite the feat. We had 12 baskets on a big trolley, the stroller with the baby, and another big trolley with 3 very large and very heavy boxes containing the pieces of the bookshelf. The trolleys refused to go in a straight line and so we were weaving all over the place. We originally thought we could buy it and then come pick it up later, given that we were driving John's Camry. But by the time we were buying the stuff it seemed like such a hassle to come back and get it another day and they have pictures all over showing how easy it is to put the stuff on the top of your car...

So we got the stuff outside, I pulled the car up to the pick-up spot and a guy that works there who looked like he was about 12 came over and offered to help us get the stuff into our car. I'm sure he was looking at our 2 full trolleys and the small 4-door sedan and wondering what we were thinking. We managed to get the two thinner boxes in the trunk by pushing them through to the back seat and a few boxes fit into the trunk and a few more into the back seat (poor James was surrounded). Then the IKEA helper suggests that we put the big box on the roof. Doesn't sound too bad, but he puts these cardboard things up there and then says my mom and I have to tie it securely to the car. He can't help because of liability.

We just looked at each other--we don't know how to tie knots! I'm sure the guys working there were taking bets as to whether we would make it home with our purchase intact. So we did our best and tied the cardboard pieces to the car and then put the big box on top of those and tied the box to the car. Once that was done we had to load my mom and the rest of the baskets into the front passenger seat. I couldn't even see her and she was laughing--I could only see one of the baskets shaking every time she laughed.

By this time it was almost 10pm, James was hungry, I was tired and we had to take the back roads home. But that box never moved ;-) The bookshelf is now set up in the game room--it was worth it.

My only regret is not getting a picture of my mom.

3 comments:

Lena said...

Hilarious! I love that you are so adventurous after having a baby! Wish I could've seen your mom covered in the car--sounds so funny!

Amy G. said...

that's great! at least you didn't have the other two with you!!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I think everyone has had a trip like that to IKEA, once Andy had to ride on the floorin front of Cooper's car seat the whole way, while Buffy sat on Chloe's lap. Yes, I know, Mother-of-the-year over here!