"A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it!" A Tale of Two Cities
Today I left my house with my three little kids in tow and knocked or rang the doorbell at about 28 homes. I was dropping off invitations. Many people were not there and I left their invitations on their doors. But some doors were answered and I discovered something. You can learn a lot by knocking on somebody's door.
Today I discovered that one of my friends who tends to be more private had her baby and got home from the hospital yesterday. I came inside for a moment (yes, I did leave my three little children in a running car at the curb. Bad mom.) and got to ooh and aah over her perfect new son. And I am so happy that I get to bring her dinner next week.
I knocked on the door of a friend that I don't talk to or even see much and discovered that her young son had had surgery a day or two ago and I could tell that the recovery has been rough. So I got to offer to have her other kids come over and play.
I saw another friend distressing a cabinet that she bought for $25!!!! at DI. It looked amazing and I was so impressed.
I set up a visiting teaching appointment (Mia, does Wednesday morning work? ;-)), caught up with a few people, and found out a family in our ward is moving around the corner.
It really made me realize how isolated we all are inside our homes sometimes, just keeping up with the day-to-day. And I thought of the quote from A Tale of Two Cities. That we live side-by-side and yet do not know each other's hearts.
So, I guess I need to get out and ring some doorbells more often. I'm sure I can come up with some reason for ringing the bell...if I show up with a loaf of bread or a plate of cookies just let me know how I can help!




14 comments:
I have often thought this same thing, but could never write it as eloquently as you did. Thanks for a great post!
Great post Erika .... So TRUE!! Eric brought me my invitation and I didn't even know you had been here!
Sure wish you were my neighbor. Seriously.
First of all, I LOVE that quote!!! It really gets my curiousity going! How interesting to see all the different things people do in their homes!!! It kinda makes me want to go door knocking!!
ditto what chelsee said!
ps- you are amazing.
I thought that you were just helping Andrew work on his mishamary skills!:)
It is interesting to me that knocking on doors in any situation brings the knocker a peek at the humanity of others! Some how it makes my world seem so much better.
Great Post!
Where you planning a neighborhood party? I wish we could come. We always note that it is amazing that everyone in the world is consumed with life...their life...full, just like ours.
Love that. I agree, just by stopping by we can get a better picture than calling someone on the phone. I am sooo curious to know who was distressing a cabinet, who had surgery, etc. Sure wish I had been doing something interesting when you came :). PS, I think you have really great insight, Erika. I love that you posted your experience about this.
You are, as usual, an awesome friend/person to be always thinking of other people and doing things for them. You're my hero, Erika!
What a great post! It's such a great reminder that such a simple thing can really boost another's spirit. I know that helping others helps me feel so wonderful too! Thanks for sharing this day!
I'm needing to lock up the fort so I'm privatizing...I'd love to keep you as a friend. Email me and I'll get an invite out to you...so sad to have to do it....
Lenna--I can totally understand going private and am SO glad I get to be invited!!!!! I absolutely LOVE reading your blog. What is your email address? Mine is thegarnerz@gmail.com
Hey Erika, what in the world were you handing out all those invitations for? Enrichment? Man good for you for visiting each person.
It was so fun to see you this morning...thanks for being such a sweet support. I hope I didn't overwhelm everyone...let me know if you have questions.
I also feel the same way and have never even thought to write it down. I'm glad you did. It's nice to know others also feel this way.
Post a Comment