She looks just like her dad.
But she is my daughter.
We were driving down the road in our hot Escape a few weeks ago. The weather was perfect. Not too hot, not too cold. Natalie reached with her little toes and pushed the window button until her window was as far down as it goes...half-way.
And then she reached as far as she could with her little fingers to feel the wind with her hands. And the whole time she was just grinning ear to ear as the wind blew through her hair. She was giggling and talking about how "windy" it was. Her head leaning back against the plush car seat, the wind blowing against her semi-closed eyes and catching the strands of her hair, blowing them around, her mouth wide open in a huge grin.
So I put my window down too. And turned up the music. Everybody likes "The Wheels on the Bus" right? And then we were both laughing and loving the wind blowing in, and enjoying the smells of fresh grass (yes, you do catch a whiff every once in a while around here), flowers, and air.
It took me back to high school and driving around in my car with the sunroof open, the windows all down, the music loud...and the heater on...at night, in the middle of winter. Granted, it was a California winter, but nights got pretty chilly. I just loved the feeling of the cold wind and the smells that came with it. I loved looking up through the sunroof and seeing the clear night sky and all the stars. In fact, I really thought I couldn't ever drive a car that didn't have a sunroof. But here I am...
It also reminded me of my friends' white, convertible VW bug that we would pile in during the summer, top down and drive to the beach. The wind was stronger in that car, whipping through our hair, so loud that we could hardly even hear each other speak so we listened to the music and took in the beautiful drive over Highway 17. I loved driving around in that car and every time I think of it, I think of all the beautiful sensations, those wonderful friends, and the smell of the ocean.
Andrew does not like the windows down in the car because he thinks it's too windy.
But Natalie does.
She is definitely my daughter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
Fantastic old memories...even better ones being made. Turn that radio up!
What a great post. I love those little moments!
too cute! i'm so glad that her personality is you, because her looks are 100% john! :)
I just love your little Natalie. I feel like I know her so well just from your blogs. You will really have to bring her--and the boys--to GJ this summer (just 2 hrs further than our originally planned Price trip!)
This post brought back many of my California memories too! Those California winter nights felt cold to me too even summer nights by the beach were that way. Then I moved to snow...
I miss California! Oh and I totally hate wind on my. Ha ha.
Opps I forgot "I totally hate the wind on my face"
Post a Comment