Monday, July 7, 2008

Celebrating freedom

Love my mom's flower pots!

I love the 4th of July. Who doesn't like a good red, white and blue combo. Add in the BBQs, watermelon, swimming, and a good fireworks show and you have one great day. Not to mention that I am passionate about what we are celebrating...freedom, independence, sacrifice, founding fathers, divine intervention and inspiration.

In a very prescient comment to his wife in a letter home on July 3, 1776, John Adams wrote:

I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

And that is exactly what we are doing today!

We were in Utah this 4th of July. My whole family was together except for JB and Chelsee and family (we missed you guys!) and we spent most of the day outside...just the way I like it.

The cousins had a great time drawing on the cement with chalk, playing with trains (Andrew's idea of course), playing with barbies (Grace's idea), and then the center attraction...

the waterslide!!


After a great BBQ complete with corn on the cob and homemade ice cream (thanks mom!), we all gathered around for a fireworks show in the backyard starring...

the Costco package of fireworks.

It was quite the show. Thanks to Jim for risking his fingers and lighting them all.

Andrew was not loving the loudness of the occasion, but gradually worked his way off Dad's lap. His hands didn't leave his ears, but he did keep saying how much he loved the fireworks. Hmmm...

The biggest fan of the backyard show was James. He LOVED it. He jumped and kicked and laughed and smiled the entire time and knew when a new one was about to be lit. Then he would sit and watch and listen as it popped, flared and finally fizzled. And he got to showcase his newly acquired skill...the clap.

Finally, we made our way over to my dad's office to watch Sandy's fireworks extravaganza. It was a great show, perfect view (of about 4 different shows), and watching from inside was just the right volume level for Andrew...low.

You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism. -Erma Bombeck

My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! -Thomas Jefferson

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. --Abraham Lincoln


God bless America!!


2 comments:

Laura said...

.... And she's BACK!!!!!!!! Erika! So glad to get on your blog and see that you have new posts... you have to remember, I cling to these. This is all I have, so keep them coming! This is great- it looks like you had a great 4th of July and it looks like you got a new camera... NICE. Your kids look adorable.

Heaps Crew said...

I was thinking the same thing about the camera. You are a pro! The photos are so great. I loved the Independence Day quotes. Thanks! I'll be sure to share them with my family next year. I hope you had a great time in Utah. It did make me sad, though, that I no longer live there and missed out on seeing you!